Principal's Message November 2014
Students in the Classes of 2015 through 2018 are required to only pass one mathematics EOC exam – Algebra 1/Integrated 1 or Geometry/Integrated 2 – to meet the mathematics assessment graduation requirement. Therefore, based on the assessment requirements stated in legislation, OSPI will not make available math EOC exams for students in the Classes of 2015-2018 who have already met standard on one of the exams. All students in the Classes of 2015 through 2018 will continue to have two opportunities each year to test on either or both math EOC exams, until they meet standard on one exam.
Beginning with the Class of 2019 and beyond, students must pass the grade 11 Smarter Balanced mathematics assessment to meet the mathematics assessment graduation requirement. Meeting standard on previously administered Algebra 1/Integrated 1 or Geometry/Integrated 2 EOC exams will not count toward the math assessment graduation requirement. Therefore, students in the Class of 2019 and beyond will not have the math EOC exams available, even if they are enrolled in a high school credit bearing Algebra 1/Integrated 1 or Geometry/Integrated 2 class. This decision to not make available these exams to these students is effective beginning in the SY 2014-2015 (ospi.k12.wa.us).
Student opportunity for success:
· SOAR Study Skills for students in grades 7-11
· School-After-School has begun and runs Mon-Thur from 2:30-3:30; contact us if you’d like your student to receive support. Transportation is available.
· Google Chrome Books for Freshman!
· Advisory: Navigation 101- Student grade monitoring and career planning for success!
· Library Outreach-Michelle Traer is in the building during lunch each Thursday to help students access reading and research materials from the local library!
· Hi-Cap is a program for highly capable students with outstanding academics needing an academic challenge!! In order to qualify for Hi-Cap, students need to be referred by parents or teachers. If you’d like to make a referral, please contact Brett Mackey.
A reminder from the secretaries
Please check your food service account balance in family access!!! Here’s how:
· Please check Login to family access
· Initial screen shows balance in middle center
· Click on current food service balance
· Then click on my account in right corner of screen
· Look at the bottom of screen under email notifications
· Check box to receive emails when food service balance is under $5.00
Each month, our student leadership group nominates one staff of the month; someone who inspires them! Congrats to one Mike Klemetson who was nominated as staff of the month for September!! Our kids appreciate all he puts up with for concessions! Congratulations to James Vogler, as well, for getting October staff of the month! Our kids most appreciate Mr. Vogler because “he will always go out of his way to help a student, no matter what!”
Each month staff nominate one junior high and one senior high student as student of the month. Teachers are looking for students making personal or academic growth. It is a close race each month, as we have many students working hard and pushing themselves!! Congrats to students of the month Hadley Moore and Caitlyn Corey for the month of September and Skyler Wells and Ben Bridge for the month of October!!
Foodball has begun! Our school district is trying to raise as much money and non-perishable food items as possible to challenge our competition: Ocosta High School! Last year we fell short by a few pounds and are ready to redeem ourselves! If you are interested in donating, you can drop your donations at any of our school district buildings, Ocean Shores IGA, Ace Hardware, McGregor Insurance or the Ocean Shores Library! All of your donations will go directly to the local food bank! Thank you in advance for your support!! GO NB!!
Special thanks to everyone who supported our spirit week for homecoming and bringing that spirit in the community. Angie Hall spear-headed the local parade with the support of IGA and many local businesses and community members! If you saw the parade, you know it was fantastic and enjoyed by many! In the future, we all hope that the participation and support grows and grows! Our kids need us and are appreciative of the support!